READER OFFER: With George's instinctive journalistic interest, this two-country excursion will awaken and engage your mind.
On this exceptional adventure in the company of inveterate professional traveller, George Negus, the idea is to “go beneath the surface,” get close to the true Venezuela and the real Cuba.
When Arthur Conan Doyle wrote ‘The Lost World’, he was inspired by the Table Mountains of Southeast Venezuela. A series of mysterious mountain tops almost inaccessible from the surrounding jungle was to capture the imagination of a generation of armchair travellers. Similarly inspired, the tour will venture through the mysterious landscapes, history and culture of Venezuela. Flying north to Cuba we delve into a land offering a kaleidoscope of experiences; an island nation where colonization and revolution from as early as the 15th century have left an indelible mark on the cultural attractions of today.
We hope you can join us on this exciting adventure with one of Australia’s most enduring and respected journalistic figures, George Negus.
Throughout these trip notes, you will find "George's Perspectives". In his words, "thoughts I've hit on while researching this exciting itinerary for our 'Travel for the Mind' excursion and bringing myself up to date with two countries that have fascinated me, not just professionally, but personally, as I've observed them change dramatically over recent decades of monumental world change."
Dates: 3rd November – 20th November 2014
Trip Cost: $9,980 (Joining Caracas)
- Travel in the company of veteran international journalist, author and television presenter George Negus.
- Enjoy Venezuela’s special environmental attractions, political uniqueness and culturally different peoples. Experience for yourself the new, emerging Cuba as it strives to join a rapidly‑changing 21st Century world.
- Overfly the natural wonder of Angel Falls, the highest waterfall on the planet – quite an experience!
- Spend time in Venezuela’s exciting capital, Caracas and its historic post‑colonial cities.
- Discover the mind‑bending contradictions of the old Cuba of the politically dominant Fidel Castro, revolutionary hero come global T‑shirt icon Che Guevarra and literary giant Ernest Hemingway.
- Get up close and personal with the locals that make up the melange of Communism, the saucy Tropicana night‑spot and the world‑renowned sounds of the Buena Vista Salsa Club.
- Be unexpectedly stunned by the picturesque Vinales Valley; visit Santa Clara, a major battle site of the Cuban Revolution.
Trip Duration: 18 days | Flights: Caracas/Puerto Ordaz/Kavac; Kavac/Canaima; Canaima/Caracas | Accommodation: Good quality accommodation in Caracas and Ciudad Bolivar, 3-4 star (Cuban standard) hotels throughout Cuba | Meals: 17 breakfasts, 12 lunches and 14 dinners |