Traveller has embarked with our partner, Geckos Adventures, Australia's leading tour operator specialising in small group adventures for 18 to 29 year olds, on a quest to discover the next generation of young travel writers.
If you're between 18 and 29 years of age, love travel, have a gift for the written word and can write thoughtful, compelling and descriptive travel stories we want to hear from you.
What are we looking for? Here's a non-entry sample story from 24-year-old Rachel Visontay, to give you a sense of what we are after. Her piece is set in Budapest, Hungary, but entries to the competition can be on any destination anywhere in the world that you have visited. Read Rachel's story here.
The winner, plus a second runner-up and third runner-up will be selected by a panel of judges drawn from the Traveller team and the prizes consist of a trio of amazing and epic tour packages with Geckos Adventures portfolio of tours from around the globe.
• Winner prize: 48-nights Epic Central America with return flights, and $2000 pre-paid credit card
• Second prize: 28-nights Epic African Adventure with return flights
• Third prize: 32-nights Epic South East Asia with return flights
Submissions are now open for the Young Travel Writer Competition, from April 2, 2017 12:01 am (AEST) until May 28, 2017 11:59 (AEST). Enter HERE.
Traveller-Geckos Adventures Young Travel Writer prize will be given for an original travel story:
• Of exceptional quality
• No more than 700 words
• Written about a travel experience that occurred within the last two years
• Written by a resident of Australia between the age of 18 and 29 years old
HOW TO ENTER
The entry must be:
• Formatted in double-spaced, 12-point font, with numbered pages, in PDF or Word format
• Include a cover letter with the author's name, the author's age in years and months, title of the entry and the date of when the travel took place. The author's name must not appear anywhere on the entry itself.
• Submit your entry via the online competition page here.
• Once submitted, entry is final and no further changes can be made. Only changes to entrant's contact details will be accepted, email Traveljudges@fairfaxmedia.com.au
WHAT TO DO IF YOU WIN A PRIZE
Write an article, in addition to your winning entry, based on your winning Gecko Adventures trips for exclusive publication by Traveller, traveller.com.au of Fairfax Media and Geckos Adventures. You will also be asked to supply related photos, videos from your trip and post to social media with relevant tags.
• Anthony Dennis, National Travel Editor, Fairfax Media
• Ben Groundwater, award-winning Travel Writer, host of Flight of Fancy: The Traveller.com.au podcast
• Lucy Piper, Head of Content at Intrepid Group, for Geckos Adventures
• Craig Platt, Digital Editor, Traveller.com.au, Fairfax Media
• Annie Dang, Writer and Producer, Traveller.com.au Fairfax Media
For the chance to win Traveller's Young Travel Writer prize, fill in your details and submit your 700-word entry before May 28, 2017, HERE to be considered.
For Terms and Conditions, click here.