This Traveller Tour is one of the hardest for me to introduce. Hard because I’d dearly love to go on it myself. Who wouldn’t want to escape aboard a luxury 11-day cruise around the Mediterranean, a part of the world renowned for its salubrious cuisines?
What’s more, you’ll be cruising with two of Australia’s foremost foodies on a specially-designed tour by Traveller’s editors on one of the world’s best cruise lines for food, Oceania Cruises. Jill Dupleix and Terry Durack, titans of Traveller Tours and noted cruise devotees, will be your hosts on this mouth-watering 2020 cruise.
“People think they know the Mediterranean, but when you can dig a little deeper you discover the incredible richness of its history, tradition, culture and art – and that’s just at the table,” says Terry.
On this journey, you’ll visit an array of enthralling destinations – Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Malta and Sicily – with Jill and Terry providing their culinary insights, including a private Mediterranean cuisine-themed cooking class.
“There’s nothing like exploring the Mediterranean by ship, port after wonderful port. It gives you a special insight into why good food is so central to their way of life,” says Jill.
Those who book this delicious cruise, which is sure to be popular, will enjoy exclusive access to our two renowned food experts and the activities they’ll be hosting, including a local on-shore lunch in Malta.
I wish all of our readers set to join Jill and Terry well, albeit through firmly gritted teeth and licked lips.
DAY 1 AUGUST 22
Board your Riviera O-class ship in the afternoon and relax as you cruise along the Côte d’Azur. Join Jill and Terry for cocktails and canapés as they welcome you onboard and share their insights into Mediterranean cuisine and exclusive culinary tips for the exciting itinerary ahead. For dinner, choose from a range of five-star specialty restaurants onboard at no additional charge. MEALS: D SHIP: OCEANIA RIVIERA
DAY 2 AUGUST 23
Today you can explore the countryside, visit a local winery or take a drive along the coast. Tonight, you can experience a degustation dinner with wine-pairing at La Reserve* named by Traveller at as the best at sea. Choose from one of three dates available during your cruise (Day 2, 3, and 4). B L D
DAY 3 AUGUST 24
See the sights of Marseille and the fishing port of Cassis or historic Avignon and Aix. You can also take a stroll through the Provençal countryside. This afternoon, you have the option to enjoy a private cooking class* (a second class available on Day 6) with the onboard chef and Jill or Terry, during which you will create your own Mediterranean dishes. Tonight, you can experience a degustation dinner with winepairing at La Reserve*. B L D
DAY 4 AUGUST 25
In the company of Jill and Terry, discover two classic Catalan delicacies, chocolate and cava (sparkling wine). Travel to the town of Roses and stop at Simón Coll, a chocolate factory that has been making the finest chocolate since 1840. Learn how chocolate is made and sample some of its creations. Later, visit Pagès Entrena, a winery that produces cava in a converted 18th-century paper mill. Finish with tapas and a cava tasting. In the afternoon, explore Barcelona at leisure. Tonight, you have the option to enjoy a complimentary seven-course degustation with wine-pairing at La Reserve*. B L D
DAY 5 AUGUST 26
Today you can choose to take a shore excursion independently or spend the day exploring the island’s famous beaches, castles and museums at leisure.
DAY 6 AUGUST 27
PALMA DE MALLORCA
Visit the magnificent Seo Cathedral and Bellver Castle or discover natural wonders in the Drach Caves. You can opt to visit the former Carthusian monastery in Valldemosa. This afternoon, you can take a private cooking class* with the onboard chef, in the company of Jill or Terry. B L D
DAY 7 AUGUST 28
This morning, Jill and Terry will host an informal talk and Q&A during which they will share culinary insights and anecdotes from their outstanding careers. B L D
DAY 8 AUGUST 29
In the company of Jill and Terry, discover Maltese history and culture on a half-day excursion. Take a tour of Malta’s capital, enjoy a Maltese local food experience for lunch and later view the Malta Experience, a spectacular 45-minute show that chronicles Malta’s colourful ancient history. B L D
DAY 9 AUGUST 30
While exploring Sicily’s ruins and admiring Mount Etna, you can try the local cheese, olives and cured meats from street vendors. Tonight, join Jill and Terry for a farewell dinner of elegant Italian food at Toscana Restaurant, and toast your amazing journey around the Mediterranean. B L D
DAY 10 AUGUST 31
Today, explore some of Amalfi’s medieval sights before visiting Positano.
DAY 11 SEPTEMBER 1
Disembark after an early breakfast. B
WHERE, WHEN AND HOW MUCH
YOUR TOUR: DETAILS AND INCLUSIONS
Departure date August 22, 2020
Duration 11 days (10 nights)
Direction Monte Carlo to Rome
PricesFrom $A4,710 pp twin share in Veranda Stateroom (B4); Concierge Veranda (A4) from $A5,085 pp twin share; Penthouse Suite (PH3) from $A6,300 pp twin share; other cabin categories available.
Quote ‘Traveller Tour – Flavours of the Mediterranean’ when booking.
- $US100 onboard credit per Stateroom
- Pre-paid gratuities, port charges and taxes
- On board Wi-Fi, entertainment and gym access, pool and hot tub
- 2 x shore excursions with a guide and hosts in Malta and Barcelona
- 1 x standard class shore excursion with a guide
- All meals onboard: Experience Oceania's Finest Cuisine at Sea, including dining at open seating speciality restaurants (elegant casual ambiance, no jacket or tie required)
- *1 x dinner at La Reserve. Reservations taken on a first come, first-served basis
- *1 x private cooking class at sea, The Culinary Center. Reservations are taken on a first come, first-served basis
- Insights and expertise from Australia’s most famous foodie couple
- Shuttle service from ship at many ports
- Port-intensive voyages featuring overnight stays
- Room service dining 24 hours a day
- Unlimited non-alcoholic beverages, including soft drinks, still and sparkling water in reusable bottles, cappuccino, espresso, teas and juices
* Fares and itineraries are accurate at time of print and are subject to change at the discretion of Oceania Cruises. One free Shore Excursion excludes Oceania Select, Oceania Exclusive, Executive Collection, Food & Wine Trails and Culinary Discovery Tours. Free $US100 Shipboard Credits are USD per stateroom, based on double occupancy and cannot be redeemed for cash or used for further discount off cruise fare, may be used for onboard services only and any unused credit will be forfeited at the end of the cruise. Free Internet is one login per stateroom and is subject to time and data limitations. Fares are valid only for residents of Australia. Bookings can only be made through the Australian contact centre. Valid for new bookings only. Any existing booking that is cancelled cannot be rebooked with Traveller Tours. Traveller’s Tour package is not combinable with other offers including Olife Choice, Olife Ultimate, Olife Choice Plus, Reduced Single Supplements and other promotions. For full terms & conditions that apply, please visit oceaniacruises.com. All rights reserved. Oceania Cruises is not responsible for typographical errors or omissions. Ships' Registry, Marshall Islands. NCL Australia Pty ABN 8060 7578 781
YOUR SHIP: RIVIERA
Featuring the magnificent Lalique Grand Staircase, 1250-guest Riviera has been designed with the ultimate epicurean and travel connoisseur in mind. There are multiple dining venues onboard, with six open-seating gourmet restaurants (no surcharge). The ship offers spacious accommodation in every category, each featuring luxurious design touches and lavish bathrooms.
Circumstances beyond Traveller’s control may affect the guest line-up. Any operational or logistical changes or issues arising from the itinerary before, during or after the tour will be addressed by Oceania Cruises. For booking conditions, visit oceaniacruises.com
Full T&C’s can be found under ‘Terms and Conditions'
Phone 1300 355 200
Monday to Friday 8am - 7.30pm, Saturday 8.30-4.30pm (AEST)
Quote ‘Traveller Tour – Flavours of the Mediterranean’ when booking.
For booking conditions, visit oceaniacruises.com