You may also like these photo galleries
Brazil's Sancho Bay has been voted as the best beach in the world by TripAdvisor for the second year running.
Quiet and secluded, the bay's crystal clear waters are perfect for diving and snorkelling among its colourful tropical fish, turtles and corals.
The beach can be challenging to reach, requiring a boat, a hardy trek or swim, thus unlikely to become overcrowded anytime soon.
Ninety-nine per cent of TripAdvisor users have given the beach a thumbs up, a rating too good to argue.
"Absolute perfection", gushed one reviewer from Britain. "Wow, wow, wow."
The secret's out about the Philippine island of Boracay with White Beach a new entry into the top 10, at number seven.
"Like an infinity pool", said one happy TripAdvisor contributor. "This beach is simply AWESOME!"
White Beach is famous for its powder-like white sand that stays cool in the warm weather, and you can also anticipate some amazing sunsets while sitting at one of the beach's bars, sipping on a sundowner.
ElafonissiBeach in Crete, Greece, also climbed into the top 10. The natural, underdeveloped beach is known for its turquoise waters, and at certain times of the day in the right light, the sand takes on a pink hue.
"Stunning", says one reviewer of the beach. "Elafonissi is a gem in the wild and worth the trip to Crete alone".
Voted best beach in Australia in 2014, Whitehaven Beach slid from fifth most popular to ninth best beach in the world.
This white sand strip located in the much-revered Whitsunday Islands in Queensland is high on sunseekers' bucket lists with one reviewer describing it as "divine".
"White means exactly that! Sand is like sugar! Under the sun, you must use dark glasses. Do not miss it if you go to Whitsundays coast!
It has, however, failed to leave everyone satisfied, what with its lack of shopping facilities and shade.
"Ok to look at for 5 minutes!", wrote one hard-to-impress reviewer. "While the Whitehaven Beach is pretty that's about all there is to say. There aren't any shops, restaurants, bars or even toilets on the beach so very limited. Nice but overall disappointed with Whitsundays, the other islands were less pretty and just green with trees in comparison to all the other islands in Queensland offering far more!"
Whitehaven still rates as the best beach in Australia and the South Pacific, lists that Sydney's Bondi still failed to penetrate in 2015, despite being the NSW capital's top sight.
The lists are based on reviews and ratings from the TripAdvisor community for beaches on the site over the past 12 months.
Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor, said now was the perfect time of year to unveil the world's best beaches. "It's that time of year when most people are dreaming of lying on a beach," she said.
"Travellers can find affordable hotel deals on TripAdvisor at these award-winning beach destinations, enabling them to turn their dreams into reality."
Take a look at the world's top beaches in the photo gallery above.
Top 10 beaches in the world:
1. Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
2. Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
3. Rabbit Beach, Lampedusa, Italy
4. Playa Paraiso Beach, Cayo Largo, Caribbean
5. Playa de ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
6. Anse Lazio, Praslin Island, Seychelles
7. White Beach, Boracay, Philippines
8. Flamenco Beach, Culebra, Puerto Rico
9. Whitehaven Beach, Whitsundays, Australia
10. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
Top 10 beaches in the South Pacific:
1. Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Australia
2. Maunganui Beach, Maunganui, New Zealand
3. Turquoise Bay, Exmouth, Australia
4. Cable Beach, Broome, Australia
5. Burleigh Heads Beach, Burleigh Heads, Australia
6. Manly Beach, Sydney, Australia
7. Noosa Main Beach, Noosa, Australia
8. Cottesloe Beach, Cottesloe, Australia
9. Titikaveka Beach, Titikaveka, Cook Islands
10. Matira Beach, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Top 10 beaches in Australia:
1. Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, QLD
2. Turquoise Bay, Exmouth, WA
3. Cable Beach, Broome, WA
4. Burleigh Heads Beach, Burleigh Heads, QLD
5. Manly Beach, Sydney, NSW
6. Noosa Main Beach, Noosa, QLD
7. Cottesloe Beach, Cottesloe, WA
8. Four Mile Beach, Port Douglas, QLD
9. Surfer's Paradise Beach, Surfers Paradise, QLD
10. Coolangatta Beach, Coolangatta, QLD