What's the attraction of Japan's deadly fugu fish?

Eating isn't supposed to be a danger sport, but it is when Japan's fugu fish is on the table.

The fugu is a blowfish known for its toxicity. The liver, ovaries and intestines of the fugu contain tetrodotoxin, a poison more lethal than cyanide.

As little as 4 mg, less than you'd probably get from a single shake of a salt dispenser, is enough to kill you.

To this day, the Japanese royal family is forbidden from eating it.

The first symptoms are numbness and tingling of the lips and tongue followed by paralysis of the extremities and ultimately, respiratory failure and death. There is no antidote.

Every year around 50 people suffer fugu poisoning in Japan, although these are not always lethal, and cases involving restaurants are rare.

The serving of fugu is rigidly controlled. Chefs must train for several years before they are ready to serve it and their skill commands a high price.

A single serve of paper-thin slices of fugu fish can cost as much as $200.

Is it worth it? The taste is subtle, and fugu is chewy even after poaching. Some say it tastes like chicken.

Comments